Dragonhawk have also Their coil versions with the Compass Tattoo Machine models. Are They Good?
Dragonhawk is well known to be one of the top provider for affordable rotary tattoo machine and supplies. But, knowing there is more to offer, they created a coil line in order to fulfill all range of artists that love the traditional tools.
Here is a list of some of the coil tattoo machines the house of Dragonhawk has created:
Table Summary of the Coil Line
Tahiti Liner & Portland Shader
These pair of Dragonhawk coil tattoo guns are designed to provide great stability and comfort in the hands of the artist.
Both machines are made of sturdy steel material to ensure durability.
Even beginners in tattooing will have an easy time using both machines, as long as they are properly tuned.
The Tahiti model with 8 coils
The Tahiti Liner has 8 wrap copper coils which help to run it efficiently.
You will easily make solid lines with a single stroke.
The stroke (I believe it is 4mm) ability is a superior quality that allows you to produce impeccable lines before you can start shading the design.
The Tahiti Liner runs at a speed from 130 to 150HZ.
The Portland model with 10 coils
For equally great shading, the Portland on the other side, has been included in this package.
Running at a speed between 100 and 110HZ, this shader makes tattooing a pleasant experience.
It comes with 10 wraps of copper coils that help it run smoothly.
Although, coil tattoo guns tends to be noisy due to the high vibration, the Dragonhawk Tahiti and Portland Compass models are considered quiet.
This package comes with a one-year warranty.
– Both are made of a strong steel frame.
– Their design is simple but still appealing compared to models from independent artists.
– Affordable machine that is perfect for beginners looking for a good start.
– Provides great stability and comfort in the hand, especially for those that love some weight.
– Both machines are of medium size, which makes them easy to handle.
– Slightly heavier than expected because of the steel frame.
– Tuning could be a little bit difficult, which may be challenging to beginners.
Plata Liner & Fuego Shader
This is a package of two (2) with the Plater used for lining and the Fuego for shading.
The package has been designed to produce good tattoos and to give the artists and the client an enjoyable experience.
Being of medium size, the machines fit well in the hand and help you work easily without getting too tired.
Beginners in tattooing will also find pleasure in using them, even if this is your first ever set of guns.
The Plata Model with 8 coils
The Plata has 8 wraps of copper coils, which allows for faster movement of the tattoo needles during lining.
It also runs on power of between 130-150HZ, which helps to create a good balance between power of the machine and its speed.
The Plata thus enables you to work fast and efficiently.
The Fuego Model – 10 wrap coils
The Fuego, on the other hand, operates at a speed of between 100 and 110HZ.
Powered by 10 wraps of copper coils, this shader also works fast and efficiently.
The package containing both machines comes with a one-year warranty.
– Fast and efficient machines.
– Provide great balance between power and speed.
– Have a sturdy steel frame.
– Affordable at under $300 for both machines.
– Slightly heavy due to the steel frame.
– Beginners might have a challenge setting up and tuning the machines.
Samar WQ2063 – 10 wraps
The Samar shader Compass Tattoo Machine works effectively to produce remarkable tattoos.
If you are looking for a machine that runs smooth, works fast and is quiet for it type, this could be the one.
It does not matter whether you are a beginner in tattooing or experienced at it. You will have an easy time using this machine.
It is powerful and hits hard with a speed of 110HZ.
Besides, the 10 wraps of copper coils ensure that the machine works in short, fast strokes.
The Compass Samar Shader is made of a steel frame to ensure durability.
For ease of use, it only weighs at 7.8oz (221 g). Some artists find it quite okay to hold for long hours but it could be a different story if your like hand speed.
The WQ2063 tattoo machine comes in an amazing leather encase to keep it protected while not in use.
Similar to the other ones tattoo guns mentioned above, you will get a one-year warranty with the purchase.
– Runs fast, smoothly and quietly.
– Has an appealing design and finish.
– Affordable at slightly above $100.
– Has a sturdy steel frame so it will last a few years.
– Light-weight for artist looking for to put less pressure using the hand.
– No standard bolts used to keep the parts and frame together.
Deluxe Compass 2 – Plenty Liner/ Hawke Shader – 8 wraps
This combo of a liner and shader is one of the best packages a tattoo artist can ask for an affordable cost.
Both machines have been designed to give tattoo clients a great experience through fast tattooing that causes minimal trauma to the skin.
Besides, the artists will enjoy the tattooing process because both machines run extremely smoothly.
The Plenty Model
This liner tattoo machine runs on a speed of 130-150 HZ, allowing it to work fast.
It also operates on 8 wraps of copper coil that ensure short and fast strokes, translating to less trauma on the tattooed skin.
It is a light machine that weighs at 7.7oz (218 g) so that you can work for long tattoo sessions with great ease.
The Hawke Model
The second of the pair is the Hawke Shader that operates at a speed of 100-110Hz and helps you move faster across your tattoo designs.
It has 8 wraps of copper coils for short and fast strokes and weighs in at 7.8oz (220 g).
Both the Plenty Liner and Hawke Shader are made of a strong steel frame, with an appealing design and size that makes it particularly convenient to use.
Beginners can use this machine as comfortably as experienced tattoo artists because it has been designed to run efficiently without any complexities.
This package has a one-year warranty.
– Smooth running and efficient.
– Have a strong and solid steel frame.
– Powerful machines that cause minimal trauma to the skin.
– It may be hard to sanitize due to its exposed operating parts.
Dragonhawk Mast Liner 3031 – 10 wraps
The brand was not looking to stop just with the Compass line.
As the Mast line is becoming popular on the market for the rotary tattoo machines, they decided that a coil configuration was necessary.
As you see, this Mast 3031 model was built using 10 coils, which in theory should run between 8 and 10V with no issues.
With that voltage range, you should be more than okay to do good dark work but the stroke is also important.
Based on the speed the needle (standard) will run (140Hz), the stroke is around 4.2 mm.
What I love most about this version is how it looks with the black matte frame paint and the gold holes in it, makes it look bad ass.
Some other things I like:
– It was built to hit hard so you won’t need to go several times through the same worked area (and good for the client’s skin).
– Made using iron, the frame is very solid and not so heavy (around 7.5 oz – 212 g) has any other steel frame.
– All the connections and cables look very neat.
– Apparently, it can be also good enough for shading works (but careful as that speed can be bad for some skins).
What could be improved:
– As any other coil tattoo gun, this one is also difficult to tune. Some artists have also mentioned that the configuration can be changed.
The Golden 12 Wraps coils Shader
The last of the list (for now), the Golden 12 wrap coil.
This Dragonhawk coil tattoo machine has not much difference from the previous models however, with 12 wraps, it will ensure the ideal Hz for a good punch.
I guess what makes it ideal, is the possibility to run larger needles (around 25M), something that other machines can’t do easy.
In addition to the above, you can get a voltage range from 6 to 10V so it would be best suited for shading designs.
Similar to the Mast version, this one also has a clean finish in every aspect.
Last but not least, the downsides:
From what I’ve seen from other users, it will also be a struggle to tune the speed of the machine.
In terms for the weight, despite of using a brass frame, it would be the heaviest so far (230 g – 7.9 oz), so for non-experience tattoo artists this one could give some hand cramps.
Dragonhawk Compass Tattoo Machine Last Words
The six (6) machines reviewed above are a testament to the fact that modern coil tattoo machines can give both the artists and clients amazing experiences.
Whether you need standard power with an 8 coil configuration or a bit more for better lining work, any of the above models can deliver reliability for a very affordable price.
The Compass Tattoo Machines line, plus what is coming from other series – such as the Mast line, are showing that you don’t need to expend a lot of dollars to come up with something useful and decent.
Images courtesy of Dragonhawk